Discussions on the history and historiography of Australia's New England

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Dates for early Aboriginal settlement in the Hunter

I have bogged down in preparing New England's Aborigines stocktake May 2011. I was going to leave it as the front post until complete, but that was on the basis that I was updating it regularly. In the meantime, other things pass the blog by.

In 6500-year-old heritage junked, the Newcastle Herald reports on the results of a dig on Newcastle's Kentucky Fried Chicken site. This found carbon-dated evidence of Aboriginal occupation dating back between 6716 and 6502 years – the oldest evidence of human settlement in Newcastle.

I don't want to comment at the moment on the detail because I am leaving for Canberra in a little while, just record it for later reference.

No comments: