Discussions on the history and historiography of Australia's New England

Saturday, April 19, 2008

New England's Aborigines - Reference Page

I have established this page as an entry point for material on the life and history of New England's Aboriginal peoples. At this stage, there are two ways of accessing material.

New England's Aborigines - Stocktake on Posts provides a consolidated overview of posts written about New England's Aboriginal peoples. Note that as at 9 May 2009, this needs updating.

Then there are the entry pages that I have begun establishing for each of the language groups within New England. At present, they are:

  • the Awabakal who occupied the territory from the southern edge of the lower Hunter River and included Lake Macquarie.
  • the Anaiwan or Nganyaywana who occupied the southern part of the Tablelands
  • the Dainggatti, the Aboriginal peoples of the Macleay Valley
  • the Kamilaroi from the Western Slopes and Plains
  • the Ngarabal or Ngoorabul who occupied the northern part of the Tablelands

8 comments:

Peter Dowling said...

Hi My project is called Pandemonium the European invasion of the Gumbaynggir Country. I am working in a time line, the runs acquired by squatters and biographies of these squatters.
There appears to be a lot of confusion as to the various boundaries of the Gumbaynggir country was well as the various sub groups within it The AIATSIS map is very different to some others I have seen.
Can you help.

Jim Belshaw said...

Peter, could you send me an email? My email is ndarala(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au

Unknown said...

Hi Has anyone came across any material for william south aka hill and his wife susan brady aka hill/south, I have a detailed amount of what can be found online but I cant find susans parents as she was a half cast (colonial Language) her mother drowned presumably, and all her children except 3 were registered as Hill at inverell, one Fanny was registered at wellingrove as Brady illegitimate and 2 in inverell as south, any info greatly appreciated, she was living on lot 31 at copes creek aka Tingha (bullcoronda)

Jim Belshaw said...

Hi unknown. This Facebook group may be one way of finding out more - https://www.facebook.com/groups/aboriginalfamilyhistorynewenglandnsw

Kim H said...

Jim, Kim Harvie have you found out any more on Aunty May Yarrowick/Yarrowyck the Anaiwan LALC is still looking for an original photo. Was talking to Greg Livermore yesterday the original photo that I had assumed was her wasn't according to him. So am back on the trail. A lot has gone on with my family since then so have not been doing much research at all. The other lady Sue Kenny who I was researching with was unfortunately killed by her husband (a very dear friend) and all her computers were removed as evidence and I lost heart with it all.) If you or anyone has a photo the LALC is looking for one. Aunty May has been kicking me in the backside to do more research ..Warm Regards Kim

Jim Belshaw said...

Hi Kim. Nice to hear from you. I'm sorry to hear of your problems. :( I haven't found anymore. I will try posting your question on a couple of the groups that I am involved with to see if I can flush anything out. I will let you know if I have any success.

Jim Belshaw said...

Have you seen this IT story? https://www.inverelltimes.com.au/story/3270772/nurse-may-yarrowyck-suggested-for-new-bundarra-bridge/?fbclid=IwAR2mteSNOEgodXwGcwbiqqGV-Isz1yNJFTZGFA5Vx1qZwg6A61BcruVx9Co

Jim Belshaw said...

Kim. What's your email address?