Discussions on the history and historiography of Australia's New England

Friday, March 12, 2010

NSW Decentralisation Commission

I am really enjoying Gordon Smith's Old news from Armidale and New England. I just like the random element, and keep looking at the date and story and wondering about the background.

I was struck by his post, Decentralisation, on the hearings of the Decentralisation Commission in Inverell on 11 October 1910. Now this Commission is actually a gap in my knowledge. I know that the failure of the Sydney Government to act on its 1911 recommendations was one of the reasons given to justify the launch of the separatist agitation after the end of the First World War, but the Commission itself is a blank spot.

The web searches that I have done don't tell me a great deal. Does anyone have more details?   

No comments: