Discussions on the history and historiography of Australia's New England

Friday, April 02, 2010

A few references

One of the wonderfully random things about the web is the way in which searches throw up references that sometimes cannot be found again with the same search! For that reason, I have been saving links on a temporary basis for later recording here. I can then remove the link.

Rodney Harrison's "Shared Landscapes" presents new ways of understanding historic heritage in settler societies through cross-disciplinary case studies that examine the heritage of the pastoral industry in two national parks, one in New England The preview on Google Books looks interesting, so I will see what I can learn and then decide to buy or borrow the book.

The Mudgee Historical Society has, with the author's permission, reproduced some of Michael O'Rourke's analysis of the initial Aboriginal European contact period. The introduction reads:

THE COLONIAL DISCOVERY AND OCCUPATION OF
EAST-CENTRAL NEW SOUTH WALES,
1817-26
OXLEY, HOWE, LAWSON AND CUNNINGHAM
MUDGEE, MERRIWA, AND MUSWELLBROOK
Incorporating an extended discussion of the armed conflict between Aborigines, settlers and police in the Hunter Valley.

I think that's pretty good, myself, for Michael's research is detailed.

I found an interesting paper by Ian Walters on the Toorbul Point Aboriginal fish trap in South east Queensland that I can certainly use.

The Hills Look Down to the Sea: A Thematic History of the Ballina Shire provides an interesting introduction to the history of Ballina. One of the things that I have to achieve in writing a history of the broader New England is to take and meld all the local histories. This is actually no small task! 

No comments: