Discussions on the history and historiography of Australia's New England

Monday, December 24, 2018

A happy Christmas to you all

This will be my last post for 2018. I am shutting down fully until the new year to recharge my batteries.

This has been a busy year on the New England history front. I have valued my readers and especially my regular commenters and emailers. I may sometimes be slow in responding, but I do read and value.

I know 2018 has been a sometimes difficult year for some of us. I think for my part it has reminded me of the importance of love and friendship.

For those who celebrate this festive season, may I wish you a very happy Christmas? For those who are alone, and that can be just so hard, tomorrow is a time to remember our blessings no matter how few they seem.

We will continue our discussions and sharing in the new year.

5 comments:

Hels said...

I particularly valued your Spanish Flu post and the mentions of flu in other posts. It always struck me as European and other disease, not one that we had immediate contact with (except for soldiers returning home). But look at those quarantine tents!

Happy and safe holiday to you and yours
Helen

Johnb said...

I Value your writing and tolerance Jim, enjoy the Peace of Christmas and travel safely throughout the year to come.

Jim Belshaw said...

Morning Helen and John and thank you! I knew about the flue from local histories, Helen, but had no idea of the scale of the border and quarantine issues. As you say, all those tents!

Hopefully, John, this year will be good. So much to write about, I have more new stories or at least updates on older ones. Hopefully, too, I can make real progress on my major writing projects.

Johnb said...

Major writing projects ?
A definitive history of Tertiary Education at Armidale ?
A compendium of Aboriginal history and culture on the Tablelands ?

Jim Belshaw said...

I have a number, John. Too many!

There are two top priorities.

The first is a full history of New England, the broader New England, from Aboriginal times to the end of the twentieth century. The first part is Aboriginal New England to 1788, the second colonial New England, the third New England in the twentieth century.

I have been working on this one for many years. Because it was taking so much time, I began a second one called New England Travels: journeys through space and time. Free from all the rigours of footnoting and evidence, this one is more of a ramble. I hope to finish a full first draft later in the year.