Discussions on the history and historiography of Australia's New England

Monday, May 18, 2020

Consolidated posts on the history and changing role of the media in Australia's New England

Frank Walter Vincent Senior on the left, his wife Armidale girl Sarah Jane nee Rampling nursing the child. They met while Frank and brother Henry were helping Frank Newton establish the Armidale Telegraph. Brother Henry met his wife at the same time, another Armidale girl, Sarah Shiels. On 15 April 1876, the two brothers established the Uralla & Walcha Times (later just Uralla Times), with Frank as editor. He and then son Barnes were editors for all but six years of its life, from foundation until the paper's sale to the Armidale Newspaper Company Ltd at the close of 1946.

I have begun a new series for my Armidale Express column on the history of the newspaper press in the broader New England. It seemed a good idea to do so given that we are at a change point where the very survival of the local and regional media seems uncertain. Publication is a little uncertain, but I will in any event publish them here.

To assist me, I have begun the process of consolidating my writing on the New England media. A list of the first 31 posts follows. I will add to the list as I continue the search process.

The posts cover different themes  cover different themes from history through changing roles and the pressures of commercial survival. Necessarily the posts are a little fragmentary, written over a number of years. I have tried to group them in rough thematic order. Later when I have completed the list, I will consolidate.   






No comments: